Property management companies have different approaches to maintenance management, and rental property owners should understand these before deciding which company they hire.
Some companies offer in-house maintenance where they hire a maintenance staff that performs all the work. Other companies outsource all their maintenance, which means they hire sub-contractors to do all the work. The last approach is a hybrid of in-house and outsourcing. These companies hire both in-house maintenance techs and utilize outside vendors.
So, which option is best for you? The best option is the one that provides the property owner with the lowest cost, the highest quality of work, and a guarantee on the work performed with no liability risk.
In-House Maintenance Teams
Working with a St. Louis property management company that provides in-house maintenance has numerous advantages that companies who outsource all their work cannot compete with. Some of those advantages include:
- Maintenance workers are available 24/7 with immediate action for emergencies.
- In-house maintenance comes with consistent and up front with the pricing.
- Owner liability is limited by using a fully insured maintenance staff.
- Quick response time is standard, and work is done within 48 hours of request.
- Technicians are familiar with tenants as well as properties, which saves time at each property.
- Maintenance coordinators can troubleshoot problems over the phone before having to send a technician out to the property.
- A tenant portal is provided that allows tenants to request maintenance without ever having to pick up the phone.
- Technicians are experienced in multiple fields such as plumbing, electric, HVAC, carpentry, and more.
Outsourcing Rental Property Maintenance
While in-house maintenance allows for a more personal relationship with owners and tenants, there are also several benefits that come with outsourcing maintenance work. These include:
- Having a contractor with expertise in a certain trade.
- Having a fixed cost agreement via a bid.
Choose a St. Louis Property Management Company that Does Both
Best practices would dictate that you pick a company that offers both in-house and outsourcing when it comes to routine and emergency maintenance at your rental property. That way, you can access the best of both worlds, and you have several maintenance resources and options all under one roof.
When the service can be performed with an in-house team that offers high quality and low costs, your property manager will use them. When it makes more sense to outsource the work to your quality network of vendors, you go that direction.
At Deca Realty, we are proud of our highly qualified maintenance staff as well as our trusted list of vendors. We know that maintenance is an extremely important part of the property management services we provide, so we want to do the best possible work at the lowest possible price for our rental property owners.
If you’re looking for a company that offers a hybrid maintenance model, please contact us at Deca Realty. We’d love to tell you more about how we protect the condition of your investment.